Newswriting
Annah Todd
French Connection
11/23/2012
The sunny, quiet afternoon in New York was abruptly interrupted when five shots were fired from atop an apartment building. The occurrence triggered a series of events that ended in the deaths of four civilians.
Pierre Jeantot, 38, of Nice, France is surmised of being assigned to assassinate New York City Police Detective Jimmy “Popeye” Doyle. Doyle works in the Narcotics Division and was investigating Jeantot’s suspected boss, a French drug kingpin.
Jeantot entered the country on Nov. 4 after a flight from Paris, France. The NYPD reports that he was associated with a crime syndicate that had been laying the groundwork for a major heroin shipment from France to New York City.
The events began while Isabelle Todd was walking down 57th avenue when the violent outbreak occurred. Todd, 14, was on her way to play a pickup soccer game. Todd goes this way every afternoon. According to Todd, Betty B. Badluck was walking with her granddaughter just a few hundred feet ahead of her. Todd remembers hearing the shots and “then suddenly she was on the ground,” Todd said of Badluck.
“I was so confused,” Todd said. “I thought her [Badluck’s] legs had just given out or something. And then I saw Doyle running away and I thought he had shot her... I was so scared and disoriented.”
Emma Stehli, 16, also saw the incident. Stehli lives in the apartment buildings that Jeantot shot from and was on her way out the door to go to meet her friends. Stehli said he saw Badluck fall and then two women ran over to help her. “Next thing I knew,” Stehli said, “I heard Doyle yell, ‘leave her alone there’s a sniper up there.’”
According to Stehli she heard five shots. “Doyle hid behind trees and then like, before I even knew it, he was against the apartment complex wall.” Stehli accounted that Doyle shuffled along the brick wall until he got to an open window where two boys peered out. “I couldn’t really hear,” Stehli said. “But it almost sounded like he was speaking Spanish.”
“I was scared for the guy!” Stehli said, “he went into a nearby door and that was the last I saw.”
After Jeantot unsuccessfully assassinated Doyle, the excitement moved on to the train station on 35th St. Jeantot got on the train and by the time Doyle had gotten there, the train had departed. Doyle heisted Emmet St. Onge’s red 1971 Pontiac LeMans.
St. Onge, 17, was driving down the road when Doyle jumped out in front of him and demanded that St. Onge get out. “I mean, I was glad I could help out, I guess,” St. Onge said. “But he did total my car.”
Doyle sped off in St. Onge’s car, dodging vehicles and pedestrians and he chased the train under the elevated train tracks. However, onboard the train, Jeantot frantically tried to -_. Jeantot sprinted up to the conductor’s booth and went in. Isabel Huntington sitting just a few seats back, was an eye witness to the event. Huntington was supposed to get off at the next stop. Huntington said that after Jeantot went into the booth with the conductor and the train flew by her stop, she knew that something was wrong.
“I was getting kind of anxious,” Huntington said. “I ride this train every morning and this had never happened before.” Roland Evans of Brooklyn, a 15-year veteran of the New York City Police Department knocked on the conductor’s booth.
“Everyone was confused, I think,” Huntington said. “But everyone also seemed really distraught.”
Jeantot opened the door of the booth and according to Huntington, commanded Evans not to come any closer.
“Evans kept trying to negotiate with him,” said Huntington. “And then Jeantot just whipped out a gun and shot him.”
Meanwhile inside the booth was conductor Peter Howe, 27, of Queens. Howe died of a heart attack at the controls. Jeantot shot and killed Horatio C. Hornblower, 30 of White Plains.
“Everything was so out of control,” Huntington said. “I’ve never been more terrified in my entire life.”
The train did finally come to halt after it careened into another train parked at the 15th St. Station.
Jack Callahan, 22, was walking to the stop to catch the train when he saw what had happened.
“I was off to work when I saw Jeantot run out from the train and then I realized that my train was smushed into the back of another,” Callahan said. “And then I saw this wheezing, out-of-breath man [Doyle] sprint to the base of the stairs with a gun.”
Callahan said that he decided to step back at that point because he didn’t know what was going on, but witnessed Doyle shooting Jeantot and ending the chase.
“Jeantot seemed completely insane,” Callahan said. “Doyle pointed the gun at Jeantot and Jeantot turn to run back up to the platform and bam - Doyle just shot him right in the middle of his back.”
“It is always unfortunate when these incidents end in a loss of life,” the NYPD reported. “We would have preferred to see Jeantot prosecuted in the courts.” However, the NYPD praises Doyle for his bravery and quick thinking under very trying circumstances. This event, although unfortunate, will continue the thorough investigation into what appears to be a major smuggling operation.
No comments:
Post a Comment