I stole this idea from your post on the class blog to the other Newswriting class, I hope that's alright.
I thought your "News Diet" idea was really cool - so I decided that I am going to try it, too.
I want to go to law school, and at a seminar i attended about preparing for the LSAT, the speaker suggested that we read, or at least skim, the current news. ever since then, I changed my homepage to the new york times. every time I open my browser, I click through the headlines. what initially felt like homework of sorts, quickly changed to being enjoyable. a lot of the topics I find interesting and I (obviously) love to read.
however, this isn't always very thorough. my parents are avid new york times readers, so not only do they get the paper delivered 7 days a week, we also have the online subscription. i already try to spend some time on the app on my iphone walking to class but i definitely want to make it more routine.
one of my favorite memories is driving up to go skiing at Wildcat Mountain with my younger brother, listening to the early morning National Public Radio station in our Volvo wagon. i am a runner, and usually i listen to a pandora station of sorts but i switched over to listening to the NPR app as of this afternoon. I also downloaded Pulse, which allows a constant stream of news to be right there from multiple sources.
lastly, i am going to make a habit of picking up a copy of the new york times every time i am in ham smith (which is frequently) because i still love reading a paper-paper; the smell, how it feels, the ritual of it, etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment