Thursday, September 20, 2012

4.1: different types of leads

Anecdotal lead
Used best when you have to use several profiles of people - like if you wrote a story about kindergarten classes, you could begin but exemplifying one of the students you interviewed. 
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/garden/jared-handelsman-and-portia-munson-make-their-own-museum-at-home.html

Delayed lead
I'm not sure if it would be ideal for a breaking news story but I think you could probably use this in almost every situation. This lead is cool to use because as the writer you can begin anywhere in the span of time - 2, 20, 200 years ago if it relates. Probably most seen when you're writing a more "profile-esque" story though.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/us/dont-ask-dont-tell-anniversary-passes-with-little-note.html
(I had a hard time finding an overt "delayed lead" - I supposed this would work?)

Direct Address lead
Ideally used if your audience is broad or the topic is easily related too.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/technology/personaltech/apples-iphone-5-scores-well-with-a-quibble-review.html

Personal lead
I think this edges on "creative" news writing, because you really aren't supposed to voice your opinion, et cetera. Likely seen used by a column writer or something written for a magazine.  http://theater.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/theater/reviews/job-at-the-flea-theater.html

No comments:

Post a Comment