My group and I decided that our "beat" should be downtown. We definitely focused on the student aspect of it, though. I was originally thinking about how UNH and Durham interact, which is something I always find interesting.However, once we got going, I was greatly surprised at how enthusiastic people got once I started talking to them. I usually introduced myself, and said that I was in a Newswriting class, and wanted to do a story on X. They either agreed - or had another idea, which were always great to hear. I think this was very helpful in our search and I plan on trying that tact a bit more often to get some ideas going.
The most interesting news story I've been following lately is the Apple-Samsung lawsuit case. I adore Apple - I have a MacBook, and iPad and an iPhone - but I am angered by their behavior. Exactly as this article (below) discusses, what Apple has done is cripple a whole creative process. What if, for example, fashion designers took this tact? and Ralph Lauren sued J Crew for also producing sparkly cardigans with big buttons? It would completely change the industry. Maybe it's not as apparent in the technology industry as it would be with clothing design, but I think it gets at the same idea.
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/miyoung-kim-can-samsung-stung-by-apple-lawsuit-change-from-being-a-fast-follower-to-quick-innovator-3217616.html
No comments:
Post a Comment