Monday, October 22, 2012

week 6.2

I'm still mulling over the problems I had written in my last post.
But to elaborate - are online magazines and newspapers actually successful?
I know that blogs are taking over the world, and everyone is focusing on their online presence - but really, is it working?
I noticed a funny thing: I have the New York Times set as my home page on my computer (it's supposed to make me work on my news consumption, but really it's just to make me look smarter). I click through it when something interesting catches my eye. However, if I am in a situation and the terrorist attacks in Libya come up, and I have no idea what the flip anyone is talking about, I just google it. I click the first link that pops up and read about it. I'll go to the second webpage down if I don't understand what the first one said, otherwise I call it a day. Unless I find it riveting, I probably won't look into it more.
It's obvious that college students don't read the news frequently. But what about "normal" grown ups? My parents do, but I think they are in a minority ?
But my parents don't just read whatever newspaper they happen upon - it's always the New York Times. They are devout readers of it. But, never have I heard either of my parents reference reading the New York Times online.
I wonder how newspaper and magazines are coping with the apparent disconnect between their "followers" and those who stumble upon their site for specific information. Is the disconnect as big of a deal as I think it is? It's almost like each company (newspaper or magazine) has to target two separate markets now.

No comments:

Post a Comment