But on the other hand, it was such an iconic magazine. I can visualize it perfectly and it was clearly popular at one point because of its broad national circulation.
Which brings me to my point: how much time do magazines and newspapers spend on their "icon"?
As I am someone who is vain, conceited, narcissistic and obsessed with how things "look", I hope a lot. But I'm worried that it gets brushed off. I do social media for a local company, and on my fledgling meeting with the owner, I asked him to describe what he wanted his company to come off as. He listed a lot of things, but I picked up on five: quick, inexpensive, student-friendly, local-buisness oriented, fresh (food/ingredients), and fun. When it comes time to post on the facebook or twitter account, I keep those words in mind. Because those 5 words are the core of the company, in some ways - it's the goal. I pushed the owner to offer deals to the local high school. I also suggested that he embrace "greek week" and anyone in greek lettering (sweatshirt, t shirt, etc) would get 20% off. Actions speak louder than words, definitely.
But how does a magazine or newspaper do this?
The don't get the opportunity to interact personally with their readers on a daily basis like a small take-out restaurant.
This seems like an enormous challenge but I am curious how magazines/newspapers take into consideration their target audience (ASIDE from deciding which articles to publish, etc.).
And now, Newsweek will be strictly online.
I wonder how much traffic they will really receive?
http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/18/news/companies/newsweek-print-edition/index.html
No comments:
Post a Comment